Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Southern with a Modern Flair

My inspiration for this menu was the pulled pork sandwiches. I saw a recipe in a Cooking Light magazine and knew I wanted to try it at my next dinner night. Since pulled pork is a traditional dish from the South, I decided to go with a Southern theme with a Modern twist.

Bruschetta with Peach Salsa and Melted Brie (Courtesy of Cooking Light)

This was a simple dish to throw together and turned out pretty delicious. The peaches were sweet and fresh which paired well with th
e rich and creamy Brie. Anyway, how can you go wrong with melted Brie? I would make this recipe again with no variations.

Vodka Berry Fizzes (Courtesy of Rachael Ray)
Vodka + Sprite + Berries = Adult Koolaid. Be careful, you can drink a lot of this quickly and can't really taste the alcohol but it may catch up with you!

Alabama Pulled Pork Sandwiches with White Barbecue Sauce (Courtesy of Cooking Light)
Yummm my mouth is watering thinking about these little guys. I
always thought pulled pork was one of those things that had to slow-roast for hours in order to be tender and juicy but this recipe proves that you can do it in about an hour. The pork is delicious and sweet because of the apple cider vinegar. The sauce is very vinegary but white barbecue sauces often are. I love vinegar so this was no problem for but don't expect a traditional bbq sauce. The only thing I wouldn't make again are the biscuits. Why bother when you can just buy mini buns for less work and a better taste?

Barbecued Baked Beans - Unfortunately, I can't remember where we found this recipe but the beans were traditional barbecue baked beans, with a little bacon. Delicious!

Lemon-Lime Layer Cake (Courtesy of Cooking Light)
This was pretty moist considering it didn't have too many liquid ingredients. The citrus flavor paired really well with a home-made white chocolate ice cream that we also made. This cake isn't for everyone but I loved it! If you're a fan of lemon or lime flavors, then definitely give it a try.



No comments: